Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Health--NO BUENO

I am basically falling apart. I wished I could say I am ending this year on a good note..but sadly, I'm not. It all started back in about November. I wanted to get healthy, so I started this Fat to Fab Challenge with some of my close friends. We weighed every Monday and took our measurements. It was a fun way to get our kiddos together to play and to enjoy each other's company while making it a friendly lil' weight loss competition. We did this for 12 weeks...ending the week of Christmas. Crazy, I know doing a weight loss challenge through the holidays..but it actually worked really well. I lost over 15 lbs and almost 20 inches off of my body. This is where it all went downhill. Because I was eating better and feeling better, I wanted to work out. So I joined the YMCA and had a friend of mine go with me. We were working out in the water Monday through Friday. We did this for almost a month when my foot started to hurt. Hurt is actually not a good word..killing me to walk on it even is a better phrase. It's hurt on and off for about two years..I chalked it up to me gaining so much weight after having Zoee, but I had enough after starting to work out and it just killing me..even getting out of bed or getting up from rest. So now, I'm stuck in a boot I have to wear for six weeks to stay off of it. I had been having an abnormal period too..which was driving me absolutely crazy...literally. My hormones are so out of whack all together. I think because of my PCOS, I'm having a hard time getting back on track and then with losing a few pounds, it messed them up even more. This leads me to the major problem going on.
On December 15th, I was sitting on the couch playing with Zoee. All of a sudden, I got this glaze over my left eye. I thought it was one of those gooey eye boogers you can get over you eyeball..so I went into the bathroom cause it wasn't going away just me messing with it. I looked in my eye and there was nothing there. I thought..that is so crazy cause I was unable to see out of half of my left eye. So the day went by and I was freaking out even more. Because it was a late Thursday, I made an appointment to see an optometrist for the next day. I was surprised they got me in so quick. I went in and the optometrist dilated my eyes, examined really well, and said..I don't see anything wrong with your eyes. You must be having an ocular migraine, by what I described to him. He said go home and rest and it should go away in a couple of hours. So I did...nothing was changing. I still could not see out of my left peripheral of left eye. I made an appointment to see an opthalmologist on Friday..cause I didn't want to have to deal with this over the weekend. He did the same thing..dilated my eyes..looked really good in them and said he sees nothing. He told me it's definitely not a migraine if there has been no improvement. He told me it has to be something neurological. I told him I probably wouldn't be able to get in to see a neurologist for a while, huh? He said..No, he was calling and making an appointment for me cause this could be very serious. That's when I started to have different feelings about everything. I was able to get an appointment on Monday for a neurologist. I did not know what to expect, not ever having to go to one of these types of doctors. He did an exam on me, ran a vision evoked potential test, and ordered an MRI. He said it definitely has to be neurological. Tuesday the MRI was scheduled. I went in I laid down (not a great place to get an MRI..they explained nothing) She stuck ear plugs in my ears, pushed these really hard rubbery things up on the side of my head, and then stuck this halo-like cage thing on top of my face (I could literally feel my breath). She gave me a button thing to push if I freaked out. Needless to say, I never got to use it..cause I freaked out before even getting all the way into the MRI tube. I didn't think I was claustrophobic..but apparently I am when it's in that confined of a place. I never wish that on my worst enemy. IT WAS HORRIBLE!!! I told her I could not do it. She went and called the doctor and he said he wanted to go ahead and do a Cat Scan. It wouldn't be as good of a test..but he could at least tell what is kind of going on in my brain.
They took me directly across the hall to the Cat Scan room. Asked me a whole bunch of questions and said she needed blood work. She hooked up the IV and took my blood at the same time. She needed 7 vials. By this time, I was quite whoosy and not thrilled to say the least. She at least explained the procedure and believe me, I asked a ton of questions. During this particular Cat Scan, they put me in the machine..took a bunch of before pictures and then they injected me with Dye and then scanned some more. The dye procedure was very awkward. You become very warm all over your body and you feel as if you pee your pants, but you don't. It's so weird. They got the pictures they needed and I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

No comments: